Thursday, February 18, 2010

Drinking and Bible Study


Living in Helena you notice all the tree huggers and politicians around here have a fondness for the finer things in life. Well, my exercise nazi friend Barb, being neither a politician (but works for the politicans ...same as me...) nor a tree hugger (but you would think so looking at her....) has introduced me to 2 of the finer things in life; foos ball and really good beer!

Because really good beer, exercising and losing weight don't mix...we have limited ourselves to going out for a beer once a month..and our beer limit is 2. (Yes, it really is 2....I am not lying!!) So what was tonight? Yep! It was our once a month beer night and I messed it up with starting the new Beth Moore Bible Study at church! I got the lecture and the finger wag from Barb on our daily 3pm walk around the capital complex.

"Barb," I explained, "Tonight I have to start my Beth Moore bible study at church with Darlene. She peer pressured me into it!! It just doesn't look so good if I go to the brew pub with you...and then show up at the church and go to the Bible Study smelling like beer." (Now, if you know Darlene, she is the most meek, mild mannered lady you have ever met. I don't think she even knows what peer pressure is....a good all around girl with a good heart that you just don't find too often any more these days...)

So we had to rearrange our once a month brew pub trip around our schedules...dates with the hubby, eating out with the kidlets, sports, doctors appt's and the like....and wouldn't you know it...we had to put our brew pub trip off for a whole 24 hours was it! Thank the Lord for such small every day miracles I say...

So in the end I said to Barb, "Okay, Friday night it is...2 beers, 2 beers only! (Give me a ping Pricilly, one ping only please!), around 7 o'clock, you are on girly! And how about a round of foos ball? The loser buys the 4 beers?"

"You are on!" Barb says to me. Now Barb is the best foos ball player (amateur of course, her husband won't let her go on the professional circuit) you have ever seen! But, if you play with her, you better have hard ears because if you are whippin' her butt, 4 letter words start to fly...not the G-rated ones if you know what I mean! It doesn't help that she exercises so much, runs marathons for fun and is extremely competetive. So foos ball isn't just foos ball. Foos ball is a game involving a fight to the death to crucify that little ball at least 10 times and whip you thoroughly along the way. And no jungle ball here! We don't play no jungle foos ball at the Barb foos ball tourney...it is straight foos ball to the death...no passing go...no collecting $200. Now, while I am picking on Barb a little here, just a little...in her defense...she is just about the most fun you could have with anyone for a couple hours on a weekday night without getting into too much trouble. More than once our little outings have saved me the pain and agony of my head popping off from some kind of stress that I am dealing with in my life....and for that I will be forever thankful. Maybe this weekend when we play foosball, I will let Barb win.....*ssssshhhhh* Don't tell her.....=)

No comments:

Post a Comment