Saturday, April 2, 2011

How Tall Are Angels?

A few years ago I went on a trip to New Jersey for some computer geek training.  It was 30 miles from New York City and when you are that close you just gotta go.  Now, I had been there before, but not since the WTC bombing and while I don't like crowded places or lots of people packed into anything like sardines (I am a computer geek ya know and we ARE anti-social....... remind me to tell you about losing my sanity while touring a submarine.... I can almost laugh about it now....); I thought I could overcome and ignore my anxiety for a whole day just to check NYC out. 

So here we are, my non-Christian liberal back-east friends in the fancy Catholic Church somewhere in New York City and what do we run cross?  Yep! This guy!!  There was another angel across the room just like this and they were guarding some dead guy in a sarcophogus.  I walked up to him and just stood staring in awe.  I only was as tall as his knee.  As I reached out to touch him, chills ran down my spine and I shivered.  I turn around and look across at the other angel on the other side of the room and as I do, I am almost afraid to turn my back on this one.  He looks so serious and life-like....except for the bronze part of course....If I would ever meet this guy along the way, I would for sure be making some tracks outta there.  He was scarey just standing there looking at him.

I finally said, "Guys, lookit this!  You gotta take a picture of me with this angel."  "How do you know its an angel?"  Kim says?  "Duh! Just look at him!" I flippantly answer back.   While my friends stand there and discuss and critique the various aspects of how good looking and muscular he is, I am in awe wondering if this is really what they are like.  Angels I mean.  For the first time, I have a new found respect for them.  I don't look at them like those cute innocent defenseless cherub type things you see portrayed all over today.  The Bible says they are tall, majestic, fearsome creatures.  They do God's bidding and provide mankind protection against all kinds of stuff we really don't want to know about. 

I remember as I stood there looking up at that angel, I have had only one thought about him since....I am sure glad they are on our side......

1 comment:

  1. Amen. My angels have kept me outta some crap in my crazy life!

    ReplyDelete